Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 no audio from FD & TM speakers with DTS:X content

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

STR-DN1080 no audio from FD & TM speakers with DTS:X content

Hello. I'm using Onkyo SKH-410 up-firing speakers. When configured correctly as "FD", they are silent when playing DTS:X content. I believe that this is the case for "TM" speakers as well.

If I do the trick of setting them to "FH", they work with DTS:X content, however:

1. Dolby Atmos audio then sounds slightly different, e.g. the opening scene of Mad Max Fury Road placed the main voice more behind me instead of in front. (This is dependant on other speaker settings such as sub crossover, etc.)

2. Every time I change from "FD" to "FH" and vice versa, my front speakers keep changing back to "Large" (which is what auto-calibration detected), so I have to change 2 settings each time I wish to play DTS:X content, and then change said 2 settings back afterwards. Annoying.

It would be great if Sony would route height audio to "FD" and "TM" speakers when playing DTS:X content. Otherwise, they should adjust their advertising to say that height channel content only works with "FH" speakers with DTS:X.

I presume other brand AVRs can manage this. Right?

Please, Sony, release a firmware fix for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

@dutchicetold me in another thread:

"...As an example I have read your comments complaining about why the receiver is at fault not enabling the height channels for DTS:X. The correct answer and one that customer service is not in the position to give you, is that you need to inform yourself on the design specifications outlined by the DTS group...."

Yet, other competing brands (e.g. Denon) output DTS:X height channels audio when using FD or TM speakers/setting. So this hopefully will "inform" future purchasing decisions.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi grolschie,

Welcome to the community and thanks for the feedback. 

Please feel free to get in touch with support for advice here.

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thanks for that, Sean.

THE_Roen
New

Was this issue ever resolved? My old Yamaha 2016 receiver was able to utilize the upfiring speakers for DTS:X content, I'm surprised a 2017 Sony ES series receiver can't, even after a few firmware updates.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

No. One still needs to set their height speakers to "FH" regardless of what type to get both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X working with the same config.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

Can confirm the same, having a European version, have to switch to FH in order to get DTS-X working properly. This is an issue over a year old, still no resolve from Sony??

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

@dutchicetold me in another thread:

"...As an example I have read your comments complaining about why the receiver is at fault not enabling the height channels for DTS:X. The correct answer and one that customer service is not in the position to give you, is that you need to inform yourself on the design specifications outlined by the DTS group...."

Yet, other competing brands (e.g. Denon) output DTS:X height channels audio when using FD or TM speakers/setting. So this hopefully will "inform" future purchasing decisions.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

I'd I d like to open a support-ticket for this issue as well, as I am not very satisfied with the shady answer given by Sony, but the link to the email above doesn't work. How can I proceed?

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor
profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

small update on my first effort to address the issue with DTS-X with front height.speakers up-firing, led to this reply from Sony:

"Thank you for contacting Sony support.
We are sorry to learn that the height speakers are disabled when playing DTS:X contents.
Please make sure that Speaker Relocation/Phantom Surround Back is set to Type A or Type B.
For more information, please check the below:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221268.html?search=dts%3Ax
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.
Thank you for your enquiry"

Which I already had done earlier, so let's see what they can come up with their next reply...