Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Is the sound calibration setting definitely being applied, and not just
saying it on the screen?

Picking my unit up tomorrow. Had a new main PCB and transformer
installed... How exciting! I will report in as soon as set up.
profile.country.GB.title
r9800pro

Yes, I am 100% sure it is being applied. I shutdown the AVR, powered it on again and played a movie and it was the same as I left it. I then changed from Full Flat calibrated to "Off" and it sounds bad compared to the saved settings.

Good luck with the repaired unit. 

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

This gives me hope!
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Well, the hope was misplaced. Got it back, wired it up, updated the firmware and the issue is still there.

This is despite me having provided the info and measurements from this thread.

To say I am annoyed is an understatement. So what now?! I did as asked - went out of my way to do as asked and no further along. 8 months of ownership and 1 month without it whilst in repair. Travel time and cost incurred. Great!
profile.country.GB.title
r9800pro

This is so weird and honestly, I can feel your pain.

I tested my unit thoroughly because I bought it from Amazon UK internationally to Egypt, so any problem with it would put me in a worse situation. 

I think your best bet at this moment is to take it to Sony store, show them the issue, get a replacement unit and test it there.

Even if it took hours, it is still better than having to live with such an issue or waste another month.

By the way, my unit model is: STRDN1080.CEK and was bought on June 9, 2018. 

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Thanks. Do you know which version of FW you have on it?

Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
r9800pro

It has M41.R.0442.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Thanks.
Same fw.
My retailer, who has been brilliant, came to my house today and spent an hour testing everything - different inputs and TV settings etc. All but confirmed it is an issue with the receiver and it is more than likely a SW issue (unless there are other boards that could be the issue other than the replaced main PCB.). Retailer is now in touch with main Sony rep.

Will keep posted.
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

The latest, copied from an email from my (very helpful!) retailer...

'I’ve just had a reply, he forwarded it on to their internal service who recreated the fault. They have now sent it on to the Tokyo QA and software team who are working on it to see if a software update will fix it.

I’ve asked him to update me when he can, but looks like a fix is on it’s way.'
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

That's great news! Thanks for persisting.

I've just started the Sony tech support journey myself with another issue. I and others have found that these receivers (non EU region models) use 30 - 35 watts while on Network Standby, when the official specifications say it should be 1.5 watts. That's over 20 times what it should be and some are finding they get quite warm. Not happy!