Join now - be part of our community!

Special characters in subtitles for DLNA movies BDP-S4500 Blu_ray player

profile.country.RO.title
ionutm80
Explorer

Special characters in subtitles for DLNA movies BDP-S4500 Blu_ray player

Hi guys,

I really need your help on a matter quite important for me. I've purchases a Sony Blu-Ray player BDP-S4500 which has DLNA support. The player is connected (wired) to my home gigabit network and streams movies from a Serviio server installed on a computer also connected to my network. The movies are rips of my personal blu-ray discs in mkv format preserving the exact original video stream (AVC HD h264 main profile 4.1), dolby digital audio track (converted from DTS-HD MA original audio track) and external .srt subtitle files since the original ones are PGS and cannot be streamed over DLNA without transcoding. All movies play perfectly with one major issue. The language of the subtitles is Romanian and includes special characters like "ş", "ţ", "ă", "â" which are not displayed correctly by the player. The settings on the server are correct (cp1250 character coding) and moreover the same subtitles diplay correctly on a Sony TV KDL-26EX320 which is 4 years older than this player. Can you please advise what settings are necessary so that the special characters to be displayed correctly?

Regards.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have no idea on the character set to be honestl. But have you tried hardcoding the subs when ripping or burn in when streaming via serviio?

rzr4gdr.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.RO.title
ionutm80
Explorer

Thanks for reply. Done that already but my home server is a Celeron J1900 2.0 GHz quad-core with less than 2000 passmark points so cannot burn the subs in real time. However last night I tested more of my movies and it seems that for old ones (normally with srt subtitles also being made also some time ago) it seems the special characters are displayed correctly so it could be something on how the subtitles were created. I will come back if I find a solution.