Join now - be part of our community!

Remote stopped working RMT D251P

profile.country.en_GB.title
gemma1181
Visitor

Remote stopped working RMT D251P

My remote has stopped operating the HDD recorder RDR HXD790.

It still operates the TV but none of the buttons operate the hd recorder. I unplugged the recorder and took the batteries out of the remote overnight hopping it would reset but it hasn't.

Any advice what to do?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It sounds like a hardware issue, in particular the IR receiver on the RDR HXD790. My advice is contact an authorised Sony Repair Centre and have this issue diagnosed.

Cheers.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

as piffy as it sounds, have you tried with fresh batteries ?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Another possibility is that you changed somehow the command mode on the commander or the recorder. By default it is DVD3. In this case you don't see any indication in the front panel, otherwise it's displayed a small 1 or 2. You can check it also in the system menu, but obviously without the remote is quite difficult :(

Depending on what you see in the front panel (nothing for DVD3,1 for DVD1 or 2 for DVD3, in order to setup the remote accordingly you have to

• press ENTER
  • whaile ENTER is pressed, push 1 for DVD1, 2 for DVD2 or 3 for DVD3
  • keep both pushed for more than 3 seconds

Hope it helps,

rooob

gemma1181
Visitor

Thanks guys. I've tried r eplacing the batteries and resetting the remote to 3 (as 1&2 are not displayed) but none of these have worked. I'vealso reset the recorder to factory settings and it still doesnt work and I cant retune usingwithout the remote!

Ive ordered a new remote on the off chance that it may work and it only set me back £15 so its worth a try.....fingers crossed.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It sounds to me, if as you say the remote is still commanding the TV, that it may be th IR receiver on the recorder that is faulty, so in this case you'll not solve the problem with a new one ... keep your fingers crossed.

One additional thing that you may check is that, at least with my TV (SONY KDL32W4000) whenever I push a button on the recorder remote the green led blink so I'm sure the remote is sending something...

gemma1181
Visitor

Remote has arrived and it doesnt work....no real surprise! To top it off my sony all in one computer has just packed in as well....not having the best experience of sony at the moment. : :angry:

Any ideas how much replacing the ir receiver will cost as I don't want to be ripped off and i want to work out whether it's worth the repair costs. Is this something I could so myself with a bit of guidance or am I best taking it to a repair shop? How do I locate a good repair shop?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It really is bad luck lately for you isnt it. Did you walk under any ladders or break a mirror? These things come in threes.

Anyway, Sony Repair Centres

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

In regards to price wise, I wouldnt know, however you can probably speak to them first and get an initial quote before you go ahead with the repair.

Cheers

gemma1181
Visitor

Hope there isn't a 3rd item of bad luck.

Thanks. I contacted a sony authorised repair centre who advised that they dont have a replacement ir receiver for that model as it has been discontinued so it's looking like I'll have to purchase a new one unless anyone has any further suggestions?

My computer is going to be over £450 to repair so it isnt worth repairing. Really need to find a way to backup my hard drive but nobody seems to be able to help.

What a rubbish week. I know I won't be buying sony products going forward. I always thought they were reliable but both products totalling approximately £1000 have broken within 4 years.....not good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The two most common ways to get data off a HDD is -

1 - Plug that HDD into another computer directly as a slave

2 - Purchase an External HDD Enclosure USB, can be bought for under £20 from Amazon