Join now - be part of our community!

BDV E370 Will not play Tv audio Bravia 37KDLEX503

Jonjune
Explorer

BDV E370 Will not play Tv audio Bravia 37KDLEX503

Can someone help please? The two are connected by HDMI ARC Port 1, and the TV recognises on screen that an Audio System is connected and shows volume rising and reducing but there is no sound once TV speakers are switched off. The HDMI cable is from Amazon, claiming to be the latest HI speed, Ethernet,ARC, 1.4 compatible.

I notice on the the BDV E370 system menu there is no ARC option which I think suggests that the TV is not recognised as ARC compatible?

I have also tried connecting by Digital Optical but still no audio.

The BDV E370 does play Blu Ray and DVDs with normal sound so I know that the speakers are working ok.

I am really frustrated now and don't know where to go next and I would really appreciate any help or ideas please.

Many thanks in advance.
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just a summary:

• KDL-37EX503 = HDMI 1 ARC : YES
  • BDV-E370 = HDMI OUT ARC : YES
  • HDMI 1.4 = YES
  • Latest firmware on TV = Unknown
  • Latest firmware on BDV-E370 = Unknown
  • Audio output via HDMI = FAIL
  • Audio output via Optical = FAIL
  • Audio output via Bluray disc = YES
  • TV Audio Detection = YES

Most likely answer:

As the TV detects and audio output connection, therefore its not likely to be a cable error - Have you tried pressing the "Function" button on the remote control?  If you press it repeatedly, it will cycle through the available audio sources.  One of them will be "TV"  Select this.  See page 26 of the manual : HERE

Also on the BDV-E370 - Goto the System Settings and ensure that Audio Return Channel is set to "Auto" - by default it is.  (I know you mention that you couldnt see ARC, but have a look again)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

PS: The summary is just my way of thinking aloud :slight_smile:

Jonjune
Explorer

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help.

The systems menu on the BDV E370 does not give me a ARC option so does this mean it does not recognise the TV in some way?

Many thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

According to the manual (Page 56 : HERE😞

ARC03.jpg

See the NOTE part, ensure that Control for HDMI is set to ON. 

If you still cannot see "Audio Return Channel", look under System Settings > HDMI Settings - It should be there.  If it isnt, double check that your model is "BDV-E370" and have a look at the back of the bluray player, where the HDMI port is, and it should have it labled with the letters ARC on it too.

Did you try pressing the Function button and cycle through the options until TV came up?

Cheers

Jonjune
Explorer

Hello again, thank you for your contiued help.

Yes it is a BDV E370, and it has an ARC output, but no, there is no ARC option in the HDMI settings menu. Maybe this is because it does not recognise the Bravia TV?

Yes i have tried the Function button on the BDV E370 but still no sound.

I am thinking perhaps there is something wrong with the HDMI ARC port on the TV?

I will try one of the other HDMI ports on the TV perhaps with a Digital Optical connection also?

Many thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If ARC absolutely does not work (even though it should) - you can add an optical cable in conjunction with a HDMI cable.  Just tell the TV to output optically, and double check any settings on the bluray player itself.

Jonjune
Explorer

Thank you very much indeed for your input and expertise. I regret that the ARC does not work so I will try another HDMI port together with an optical cable and use the Function button to switch to TV.

If that doesn't work I truly give up and probably have to accept the the system is faulty.

Your advice is very much appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.  Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

If it doesnt work, in my opinion, its unlikely to be faulty - I think your missing a step somewhere, which is hard to determine via this site.  So my advice would be to contact Sony Support for them to talk/walk you though it.  If that makes any sense.

Jonjune
Explorer

Many thanks again for your reply. I did contact Sony Support before posting here, and she took me through many setting without success. We did establish that software could do with updating but I doubt that this is the route of the problem.

I have now tried the optical cable with a different HDMI port again without success. I will now try the BDV E370 with a different TV which supports ARC. If this works I know that the Bravia TV is faulty.

Many thanks again your expertise easily surpasses that of Sony support.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems. :slight_smile:

Please post back on how you get on (or dont get on)