Join now - be part of our community!

Perfect example of Sony after sales service

Perfect example of Sony after sales service

Probably too late for most of you but DO NOT BUY SONY

Options

10 seconds ago

Appreciate that most of you will already have Sony kit but hopefully I can catch a few that are simply researching.  My advise is DO NOT BUY FROM THIS BUNCH OF COWBOYS.  They are more than happy to take your money but know nothing of customer service.

I'll give you some background.  For a bit over a year I have used my Sony Z2 Tablet without any issue at all.  One of the best devices I have used.  Android 6 dropped for it somewhere in mid May so I took the plunge and downloaded it.  All went well until the "shutting down" prompt appeared prior to the upgrade then....  NOTHING...  The device was dead.   I contact Sony who appeared to be willing to help as I still had a year of the Warranty to run.  They arranged for the tablet to go to the national repair centre in Pencoed.  I sent it off and waited.  First I received a letter saying I had to call them to progress the repair.  I called and I was told that the device had gone to a technician and that I didnt actually need to call....  Fair enough...  Then the fun began...

A couple of days later I received a letter in the post from Sony.  It was an estimate.  Apparently they had repaired the system board in the tablet and upon powering the device up they had spotted pixelling on the screen and yellowing around the edges.  If I wanted the screen replaced I had to pay £102!!!!!!   **bleep**!!!!  There was nothing wrong when it went in to them.

I called the repair centre and explained I wasnt happy.  I've fixed a few phones in my time so know quite often in order to replace the mainboard you have to remove the display.  The lady there (Nicola) tried to tell me they opened the device from the back (impossible) in a bid to cover their tracks.

I have seen several videos and am now pretty familliar with how to change parts in this device.  One of the best ones I have seen is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoHUlxLNBU

You can see how he "opens the back"!!

I explained to Nicola that I wasnt happy with this and wanted to raise a complaint.  She referred me back to Sony on the 03 number.  I called them and had the issue escalated.  Was told 3-5 days for a response so waited for them.

This morning I received a rather blunt voicemail from Scott in the escalations management team saying they have spoken with the repair centre.  They can confirm that this damage was most likely caused by excess pressure being applied but could not say when it was done.  As a result SONY couldnt give a monkeys and I have no choice but to pay.

I tried to return the call but couldnt as it was from some outsourcer up in the north that dont take incoming calls.

Called the 03 number again and spoke to Danielle there.  She confirmed that upon receipt, the technician inspected the unit and noted pixel damage.  I pointed out that cannot have happened since the device went back as it wasnt powering on!!!!  All I got was "I understand" and "I appreciate" but "there is nothing I can do". 

I've since called the repair centre to ask for a copy of the report that was sent to Sony's customer service and they confirm apparently there was no report.  They simply sent an email.  Here is a copy of the note that was sent:

As per our recent telephone conversation I have attached a picture showing the missing pixels. Unfortunately the camera will not pick up the yellowing on the screen.

The tech notes advise

We replaced the main board new imei number (I've removed this) and powered the unit up. On inspection the technician found green pixels and yellowing around the screen.

This is not covered under the warranty so an estimate was sent out for the cost of the replacement screen.

The main board is covered under the warranty.

Best Regards

She did indeed attach a picture for me to look at.  You think I might have noticed this before it went in!!!

Pixels.png

I think to any court in the land, on the 'balance of probability' it is more than a distinct possibility that the damage will have been caused by incorrect pressure being applied to reinstal the display.

I have tried to raise this with Sony but it seems like they just could not give a toss so I am going to post this absolutely everywhere so that any potential customers can get an idea of how shoddy their after sales service is before they part with any of their hard earned cash.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

For more info visit: http://bit.ly/1A76kHT Sony drew the curtain on their latest Android Tablet -- the Xperia® Z2 Tablet at Mobile World Congress back in February - and SGNL by Sony gave you the in-depth first look. Next up, seeing how it works by getting a Sony Mobile engineer to rip apart the ...
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Pete_B

Sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing issues with your tablet. 

Unfortunately were unable to advise on this issue as tablets fall under the ownership of Sony Xperia, which is a separate part of the Sony family.

The Sony UK oversees digital imaging and audio and video products, whereas Xperia look after mobile, tablets and wearable technologies.

You can find the Xperia support forums here - http://talk.sonymobile.com//

Contact details for Xperia can be found here - http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/contactUs/

Regards,
Pete