Join now - be part of our community!

XH9505 ITV live TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

XH9505 ITV live TV

Hi 

From the youview app, accessing ITV Hub doesn't show the option of watching Live TV. I only see option for watching catch up TV. Is this intended behaviour? If so, what is the alternative way to watching ITV channels live? 

Many thanks 

Puneet 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

First of all -- thank you everyone for taking out time to share your advice and offering help. Genuinely grateful. 

Will summarise my personal learnings below -- will emphasise personal here as this is strictly my point of view 

1 - The solution that I eventually settled for was getting a coaxial cable that plugged into my TV directly from the TV wall socket in my apartment -- didn't need anything else, as my apartment block has a communal aerial (didn't know this was a thing as I am not from the UK). Sharing here as this may turn out helpful for other novices like me. From there -- setting up the channels was easy from settings -> watching tv -> channels -> channel setup -> auto tuning -> Aerial Digital 

2 - This reflection relates directly to my original question, which was to figure out watching ITV w/o need for additional hardware. It seems to me that Sony Bravia TVs lag others in supporting free to air channels after just connecting to the Wi-Fi (i.e. without connecting additional cables, etc.). In other words, there are fewer apps that support watching live TV compared to competition (in case of ITV -- while LG's webOS has an ITV app that allows you to watch live TV while ITV app on Sony / Android TVs only supports catch up TV. I was able to workaround this by casting from my laptop, but the quality wasn't optimal) 

3 - I didn't go down the route of exploring Roku (or Amazon Fire stick or other smart tv sticks) as I already had a 2nd gen Google chromecast 

4 - some people genuinely want to help, while others pretend - they try forcing a solution on you and mock you with sarcasm and non helpful analogies when you say "thank you but the solution doesn't work for me". I have an analogy -- My car already has 4 wheels. Please don't force me to put a few more and convert it into a lorry just because you have only ever driven a lorry. 

Peace and respect 

PM  

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Go to inputs on your remote (rectangle with arrow pointing to the centre of it) scroll along to the right and either choose live TV or add it right at the end. Either way get out of the hub as that's just for catch-up I think.

profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

I don't have any aerial cable / antenna connected to my TV, only Wi-Fi - unsure how Live TV is supposed to work in this case. My TV is able to scan some digital channels like London Live, Great! , Ideal Extra. Don't see the BBC or ITV or Channel 4.  

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Oh in that case download a TV streaming app like TVPlayer. It's in the Google Play Store along with a whole host of others but for UK Channels it works well.

profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

TVPlayer streaming quality hasn't been great -- are there other ways? Seems a waste to watch low resolution content on HD / UHD tv. 

I had a LG TV before this one -- the ITV app on that TV was able to show Live TV. For Android TV, ITV doesn't have an app available through google's play store and the app on youview doesn't show Live TV option. 

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Plug and aerial in and get live TV it's not your TVs fault. There are a load of IPTV apps try them. Otherwise try an indoor aerial if you like, make sure it's a digital one

profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

Many thanks for your responses -- I am not aware of the technicalities and please pardon my ignorance.

My earlier tv (LG webOS) didn't have an aerial and was able to stream live tv without that directly through ITV app. ITV has an app for phones that streams live channels -- the fact that this not an option on my TV (w/o additional hardware) does feel like the feature is missing from the TV, in my opinion. Though it could potentially be driven by ITV's decision to not support Live TV through app in Sony Bravia models? 

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

If you are unwilling to give your TV an aerial then expect it not to function properly. You could also Cast your ITV app from your phone. But just get an indoor aerial..what's the problem not paying the TV licence?

profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

That's the assumption you are making - don't believe it was needed or helpful. 

FYI -- the TV license is independent of whether you watch through aerial or a digital stream. I do already pay tv license as I am able to stream BBC through the iPlayer app within YouView. 

On the topic of discussion - am just still surprised that this new sony tv needs aerial (or so you say) to stream live tv when I was able to do so w/o the aerial with an older LG tv. May be you are used to having things working a certain way and that's why you are recommending aerial, but looks like its an issue with Sony TV rather than something that every TV has. And may be I should also have done more research into what this tv is able to stream out of the box before buying it rather than making an assumption that experience would be similar (if not better) to the TV I traded in.  

Thanks for all the help and pointers 

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Why won't you get an aerial?