Join now - be part of our community!

Voice search returning US only programs for Netflix / Google Play in the UK

profile.country.GB.title
asblado
Explorer

Voice search returning US only programs for Netflix / Google Play in the UK

I am using a Sony  BRAVIA KD49XE8396 in the UK.

When I go to Home, and then use the voice search, the results returned are for the US not the UK. 

For example, if you search for 'Doctor Strange' it shows it is available on Netflix and Google play. 

If you follow the link to Netflix it says its not available in your region. Same for Google play, its only available to buy not rent. 

How do I change the search to use the UK services (the ones I am logged into and using on this TV) and not the US versions. 

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi asblado,

Welcome to the community. What firmware is being used on your KD-49XE8396?

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
asblado
Explorer

Hi there - I couldn't find anything specifically called Firmware, but here's all the info from the About page

Version

Android security patch

1 August 2017

Kernal version

root@BuildHost538 #1

Wed Oct 4 18:20:47 JST 2017

Build

BRAVIA_ATV2_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S90 1.6.0.26.71.1.00

release-keys

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@asblado That's actually weird.. Are you using a VPN in your router or a proxy by any chance? If so you must have a direct connection. Also, what does it say if you open Netflix directly and you try to watch some content? It it works it may something related to your Google account. Maybe try to delete it on your TV and sign in Google again.

profile.country.GB.title
asblado
Explorer

@Jecht_Sin I'm not using a VPN or proxy - just a standard ISP (vodafone broadband) supplied router.  I've also checked with https://ipcim.com/en/?p=where and i'm showing up as in London (UK)- which is correct.  

I took your suggetion and tried logging out of my Google Account, and then back into it.  I also went through and did the same for netflix and amazon - as I'd noticed I wasn't actually getting any results for them - only for Sony and Playstation (and youtube).  None of that made any difference.  

However - by chance I tried entering the same search (this time 'In Bruges') using the Voice search and then the manual text entry option.  Using the Voice search returns just US Google play and Sony results.  Using the manual entry returns the results for Netflix, Amazon etc in the UK.  So it seems to be the actual voice search that is the problem.

Any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@asblado wrote:

Using the Voice search returns just US Google play and Sony results.  Using the manual entry returns the results for Netflix, Amazon etc in the UK.  So it seems to be the actual voice search that is the problem.

Any suggestions?

I am completely puzzled. Does it always work entering th text manually? In any case I may suggest to cancel the data of the Google app (the one with the Google symbol in the apps list). Or of Google Play Services (I think it's there as well). But they are just wild guesses. It makes little sense it that works with the keyboard but not with the voice control.

profile.country.GB.title
asblado
Explorer

@Jecht_Sin it always works if I enter the text manually.  I've tried searching by voice then text and vice-versa, but still always US results from voice and UK results from text.  I'm assuming that the search parameters are defined seperately for both types of search - but I have no idea how I change the voice one to search the UK.

All I can think of is that it's taking my location from somewhere where it's set incorrectly - or using a default (that's the US).  I've been through all the accounts (youtube/netflix etc) and where there is a location in the My Account settings they are all set to UK though...

I went to settings > apps > and did a force stop & cleared the cache.  That has not fixed it 😞  

At a bit of a loss.  I'll try a factory reset and see if that fixes it, otherwise is there a formal sony (or would it be google assistant?) support channel I could ask?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

asblado schrieb:

However - by chance I tried entering the same search (this time 'In Bruges') using the Voice search and then the manual text entry option.  Using the Voice search returns just US Google play and Sony results.  Using the manual entry returns the results for Netflix, Amazon etc in the UK.  So it seems to be the actual voice search that is the problem.

I am seeing the same problem, see bug #63 in my bug-tracker. But I am not sure whether it pulls results from U.S. for voice search. I actually have an example which contradicts your theory. When I voice search Dark, I actually do get a result. Dark is a German production, currently only being available in German speaking countries, but not the U.S. To me it looks rather random what results you get via voice search.

profile.country.GB.title
asblado
Explorer

That could just be that the default search is the US, and if it fails it falls back to the local region.

I suspect the issue is with how the Google Voice search is getting the localisation parameter, but whether the this is coming from the TV (therefore a Sony issue) or is something to do with Assistant (Google issue) I don't know.  If I use Google Assistant on my phone to look up a movie then look at it's suggestions for watch - they are uk based... which suggests that it is something to do with the implementation on this device, and therefore a Sony issue.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

asblado schrieb:

That could just be that the default search is the US, and if it fails it falls back to the local region.

Then it would also find The Big Bang Theory in my case which currently isn't available in the U.S., but in my region it is. It is however not found via voice search.

Something is for sure wrong with the Netflix voice search though.