Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV Alexa skill no longer discovers and controls my Sony Bravia XH9296 Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

Sony TV Alexa skill no longer discovers and controls my Sony Bravia XH9296 Android TV

Just a disclaimer that this has happened before and I did manage to fix the issue using the same method. Also my TV is on the latest F/W and fully up to date. I realised the issue had returned because the TV didn't switch off with my goodnight routine at the end of the day. Problem is that the first time I reset everything returned to normal, this time it doesn't work and Alexa can not discover my TV.

What I have done...

On the TV...Cleared the data in app info for the 'TV Control For Smart Speakers' app and restarted the TV.

In Alexa account...Deleted the skill from my account which consequently unlinks the attached Sony account also.

Re-setup the TV with the Sony account and Alexa account by linking the account and re-adding the 'Sony TV' skill. At this point Alexa still can't see my TV.

I understand there was an Amazon Alexa outage recently also.

So I guess the question is...Is anyone else having these issues at this time to rule out whether it could be an Amazon issue or a Sony issue? Or is it just me?

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
mogodon
Explorer

@gbutt89 I had to go from scratch too.

The annoying thing was when it added the TV back it also added the 3 other differently named versions I'd tried while pulling my hair out.

There really should be a section on the alexa skill to say if there's a known incident.  Not to mention telling you which account it has decided to auto-connect for you from the brower/app cache!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, it's software updates season, have you all tried checking the latest software version on the support page by using  your model?

profile.country.GB.title
mogodon
Explorer

Yes I keep the TV up-to-date. I think the issue was at Amazon server side.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey mogodon, let us know what comes out of this.

profile.country.GB.title
mogodon
Explorer

Hi @HannahEd01, further Alexa woes,

My TV is named "Living room TV" (lower case "r") , unfortunately Alexa has also discovered both "Living Room TV" (upper case "R") and "TV" which were, in order, the original TV name, followed by one I tested when I didn't realise there were issues.

I tried removing these two entries from Alexa but they come back every time Alexa does a discovery. I have tried disabling them, but regardless of this, Alexa still recognises them when I speak to "her". "She" will no longer control "Living room TV" (lower case "r") as "there are more than one device named "Living room TV" (any case "r"!!). Kind of pointless having a disable function if Alexa continues to recognise the devices.

I had two Sony accounts, one on my hotmail email address and the other on my gmail email address, historically due to there being several Sony services over the years. I deleted the hotmail one a few weeks ago as none of my purchased products were associated with it.

The issue was, I figured, that the Alexa app was auto-signing into my old Sony (hotmail email address) account and finding the old device names (this account has been deleted about three times now). So, in order to get the skill to sign into the correct Sony (gmail address) account, I disabled the "Sony's TV" Alexa skill, cleared the Alexa app cache and deleted cookies on Chrome (browser). Subsequently it let me sign in via my gmail address and set up the "Living room TV" (lower case "r") device.  All good thinks I...

Nope... Alexa has also pulled through "Living Room TV" (upper case "R") again (no "TV" this time), so I can only guess, this naming is also linked to my Sony (gmail address) account.

This is driving me crazy, something so simple should not be so much hassle to fix. How do I get rid of that old ghost entry?

Cheers

Mog

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mog, did you try contacting Apple support?

profile.country.IT.title
FabriBC
Explorer

Hi,

I have the same problem, have you found a solution? I’m going crazy!

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey,

Did you check if the software of your TV is up-to-date?

profile.country.IT.title
FabriBC
Explorer

Hi, yes it is up to date

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

I'd suggest that you try to factory reset the TV