Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55A1

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Sony KD-55A1

Hello, I am looking for advice regarding my A1 OLED TV.

The TV has developed a fault whereby parts of the picture has a green tinge, following advice from forums I displayed a red screen and you can see a sizeable dark shading in the picture.

The TV is 4 years old but has a 5 year warranty.

I contacted Hughes TV who sent out an engineer who could see the issue so Hughes are attending on Monday to take the set back for investigation.

The engineer suggested meanwhile I contact Sony support to see if the can advise of any rectification.

I spoke with Sony support yesterday and they said they would deal with this issue.

Someone is ringing back today.

My question is who would be best dealing with this Sony or Hughes who sold me the set.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

I have exactly the same problem with my TV and got 5 years warrantee, but got my set from Currys. Should i contact Currys first or contact Sony ?

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

I contacted Hughes in the first instance and the Hughes guy who came out suggested I contact Sony to see if they were aware and any fixes whilst he at the same time arranged for the set to be uplifted back to Hughes.

As there was around a week before they could get a 2 man team out I contacted Sony who initially seemed positive and the Sony agent said all the right things so on the after phone call survey I gave top marks (maybe a ploy by agents to get good feedback?)

The Sony agent arranged to phone me in a 2 hour window the following day, no phone call materealised just an email at the end of following day to say it’s a characteristic of OLED.

As advised to me your contract is with Curry’s so go with them and if you do speak with Sony support delay the feedback.

Robin

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi naimdvd5, not all the faults are similar, could you upload a picture? Maybe yours can be resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

9F5B7541-C8E0-4F7F-A50D-0E882B1C36E4.jpeg60BCD55E-2551-45E3-B1E2-3E12126E2B8D.jpeg68C5EAB7-D09C-47E8-85F5-1AACD64C3E2B.jpegE53468CA-CA3E-4251-A8EB-418EEB3C1DE5.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

It’s very similar to Headhurts but maybe not quite so severe at the moment, but it’s getting there.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey naimdvd5, try a panel refresh and a panel calibration first.

profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

Spoke to Sony, did all the tests, still the same.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey naimdvd5 , usually they tell you what's next, a service or a technical investigation. What did they tell you?

profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

Went through the tests Sony asked me to go through. They said they will send me a replacement A90J, but when they sent me an e-mail i'm not sure whether they are going to try to repair the A1 or just replace it with the A90J.

profile.country.GB.title
naimdvd5

This is what they said....

Thank you for booking an in-home service for your Sony television. Based on the symptoms you have described and under the terms of our Sony guarantee, we have now arranged an exchange of your faulty with serial number 67*******. The replacement TV will be shipped directly from our Sony factory to the Service Centre and is fully certified to new condition.

Your TV will be replaced with an alternative model to your current one, the XR-55A90J, with similar or improved specifications.

Your contact details have been sent to our Authorised Service Centre who will aim to contact you within the next 4 business hours.

Please have your proof of purchase available for the Service Centre to collect with your unit. In the event of no fault being present upon inspection, please note that charges may apply. Should physical or accidental damage be found, the in-warranty exchange will become void and the engineer will be instructed to return the replacement TV back to Sony.

The remainder of your current warranty period will be transferred to your exchange product.

With kind regards,
Sony Support Team