Join now - be part of our community!

KD55x8509c Audio Output problem

Tandy02
Explorer

KD55x8509c Audio Output problem

Hi all,

I have had a KD55x8509C for around 4 weeks and have a query that might have been discovered by other owners?

i have connected a 100watt Sub Woofer via the 3.5mm jack, audio out port, adjusted the settings for external Sub and I have even adjusted the EQ to give maximum bass. Having done all of this, I find the output of the Sub only just acceptable with the gain turned fully to maximum. I believe the KD55x8509 is just not providing a sufficient audio signal to the Sub.

now...

Normally when I switch off the TV, I do so by switching this off at the socket, rather than leave the set in standby mode. However if I leave the set in standby mode, when I return to view by switching the set on, after say 1 hour, I find there is way too much bass and have to reset the Sub by turning down the gain on the Sub itself. Should I then immediately switch off the TV at the mains and back on again, effectively rebooting the TV from cold, Bass drops once again back to its original poor value.

My thoughts are: is this a firmware fault, or is this a set fault? There are so many quirks with the firmware at present. An incredible picture, but so slow at booting from cold and always to the home screen. Surely no one leaves their TV switched on all night, even in standby mode??

I would be grateful to hear from any community members that might have experienced this perculiar quirk with regard to audio output, or has any member tried to connect either a 2.1 audio system, or just a Sub via the 3.5mm output port as I have. Could you please let me know of your experiences??

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
Tandy02
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I can see that many people have looked at the listed problem of my KD-55X8509C set's audio problem. I have checked within the Bravia Generic posts and can see there are many other problems that exist, so I am not alone.

i thought I would return to advise, I have found a run-around fix to the poor audio signal output from the 3.5mm Headphone jack-socket. Having contacted Richer Sounds service team, they suggested I needed an AV Receiver to run a hard wired audio device such as a Subwoofer. I politely explained this was not an acceptable answer and totally untrue. I was promised they would look further into the issue described and return, perhaps with a solution. After 3 weeks, I am still waiting for their phone call and do not expect a return from them anytime soon.

However, I have discovered, should the setting for this 3.5mm audio port be set on 'Headphone' (normal default setting), rather than on Subwoofer, the output signal increases so much, the bass from the Sub is excellent. What is more, the input signal to the sub can be adjusted from one's armchair using the TV remote via Action/Headphone Vol. However this should not be!  Headphone signal output should not be equivalent to 'Line Out', so I can only assume the signal output for the Subwoofer setting is at Headphone level (microvolts), whereas the Headphone setting is equivalent to Line Out (millivolts). Oh my gosh!

The 'run-around fix' should not really be the answer, but is acceptable. I am still unsure, due to lack of feedback, if the above  described poor audio output signal is due to a set fault, or a firmware fault. So any feedback from members would be welcome.