Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49xd8088 memory

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
johcook41
Explorer

KD-49xd8088 memory

Hello,

My TV reports installed memory as 8.2GB whereas it used to display 16GB. Since noticing this problem, I've updated to the latest firmware and reset the TV to factory settings but it is still reporting 8.2GB installed. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@johcook41 wrote:

Thanks for your rapid response.

I mentioned in the OP that it's 'installed memory' that is displayed as 8.2GB and not 'usuable memory'. I discovered this problem because my 'usuable memory' was virtually zero and therefore  I wasn't able to copy a small jpg file from a USB stick to the internal memory.

I am not sure what you mean. The 8.2 GB is the size of the /data partition which is shared by the apps and the virtual "SD card". This is how the internal flash memory is divided in our Android TV:

1|shell@BRAVIA_ATV2:/ $ df                                                     
Filesystem               Size     Used     Free   Blksize
/dev                   788.2M   120.0K   788.0M   4096
/sys/fs/cgroup         788.2M    12.0K   788.1M   4096
/mnt                   788.2M     0.0K   788.2M   4096
/system                  1.2G     1.2G     0.0K   131072
/cache                 581.2M   780.0K   580.4M   4096
/data                    8.2G     2.9G     5.3G   4096
/linux_rootfs           69.8M    69.8M     0.0K   131072
/perm                    3.9M    72.0K     3.8M   4096
/3rd_rw                225.3M     4.0M   221.3M   4096
/3rd                    74.4M    74.4M     0.0K   131072
/tmp                   788.2M    69.1M   719.1M   4096
/data_demo             991.9M   876.6M   115.3M   4096
/storage               788.2M     0.0K   788.2M   4096
/upgrade                 2.0G     4.0K     2.0G   409

The one in bold (/data) is the memory available for users (I have 2.9GB used). I can't show you that the space for /sdcard is identical because I am using an external HDD, so the /sdcard is in there.

Then other interesting things are that 2 GB are wasted for an "upgrade" partition. The system partition (which is where Android TV resides), instead uses only 1.2GB (which is quite surprising). Then there is the "Data Demo" partiton, which wastes nearly another GB just to keep a video to be shown in the shops... Oh, and /storage, which being a directory for mount points didn;t need a partition at all, and still it wastes yet another 788MB.

Still, no matter what I do, I can't manage to make that sum up to 16GB. Or better, 14.9 GiB considering the typical mess caused by system tools saying 1KB =  1024 Byte, while it is 1KB = 1000 Byte (Internation System), and 1KiB = 1024 Byte (1 KiB is a 1 Kibibyte). 

Anyway, from your picture you have plenty of available space in the SD card. If you don't manage to cppy anything you would check the ESS File Manager permissions. Or maybe try to install Xplore and see if it works with that. It never failed me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The maximum amount of storage on these Android TVs is 16GB.  A certain amount is used for the Android operating system itself and any other pre-installed apps.  Some amount is reserved for temp memory and for firmware updates.  So therefore you are left with a 'usuable' amount in terms of around 8GB.  As you are using Marshmallow, you can add a USB drive to the TV and use the expandable memory feature.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
johcook41
Explorer

I mentioned in the OP that it's 'installed memory' that is displayed as 8.2GB and not 'usuable memory'. I discovered this problem because my 'usuable memory' was virtually zero and therefore  I wasn't able to copy a small jpg file from a USB stick to the internal memory.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you post a photo by any chance.  Im just curious and want to compare it to mine.  

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
johcook41
Explorer

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here's a photograph of the screen showing the internal memory using the 'ES File Explorer' app. It shows that 1.6Gb out of a total of 8.16Gb is being used. The second 'SD card' shown is my external USB drive.

IMG_20170402_085656.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@johcook41 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean. The 8.2 GB is the size of the /data partition which is shared by the apps and the virtual "SD card". This is how the internal flash memory is divided in our Android TV:

1|shell@BRAVIA_ATV2:/ $ df                                                     
Filesystem               Size     Used     Free   Blksize
/dev                   788.2M   120.0K   788.0M   4096
/sys/fs/cgroup         788.2M    12.0K   788.1M   4096
/mnt                   788.2M     0.0K   788.2M   4096
/system                  1.2G     1.2G     0.0K   131072
/cache                 581.2M   780.0K   580.4M   4096
/data                    8.2G     2.9G     5.3G   4096
/linux_rootfs           69.8M    69.8M     0.0K   131072
/perm                    3.9M    72.0K     3.8M   4096
/3rd_rw                225.3M     4.0M   221.3M   4096
/3rd                    74.4M    74.4M     0.0K   131072
/tmp                   788.2M    69.1M   719.1M   4096
/data_demo             991.9M   876.6M   115.3M   4096
/storage               788.2M     0.0K   788.2M   4096
/upgrade                 2.0G     4.0K     2.0G   409

The one in bold (/data) is the memory available for users (I have 2.9GB used). I can't show you that the space for /sdcard is identical because I am using an external HDD, so the /sdcard is in there.

Then other interesting things are that 2 GB are wasted for an "upgrade" partition. The system partition (which is where Android TV resides), instead uses only 1.2GB (which is quite surprising). Then there is the "Data Demo" partiton, which wastes nearly another GB just to keep a video to be shown in the shops... Oh, and /storage, which being a directory for mount points didn;t need a partition at all, and still it wastes yet another 788MB.

Still, no matter what I do, I can't manage to make that sum up to 16GB. Or better, 14.9 GiB considering the typical mess caused by system tools saying 1KB =  1024 Byte, while it is 1KB = 1000 Byte (Internation System), and 1KiB = 1024 Byte (1 KiB is a 1 Kibibyte). 

Anyway, from your picture you have plenty of available space in the SD card. If you don't manage to cppy anything you would check the ESS File Manager permissions. Or maybe try to install Xplore and see if it works with that. It never failed me.

profile.country.GB.title
johcook41
Explorer

Thanks for the your detailed reply. One of the first things that I did after I installed the TV was to install ES File Explorer and check the available memory. That was 3-4 months ago and I thought it indicated that the TV had 16GB. I must have been mistaken.:smileyconfused:

EDIT

I ran the 'df' command and my results match yours ( except for the used amount in the data partition)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well, yeah.. The total  internal memory is around 16GB. But as I have shown about half of it gets used (or wasted) by other partitions. The only partition left to the users is /data. In there we get all user apps, the updated system apps, the "dalvik caches" or what they are with ART after Androdi 6.0 and obviously our data. Plus the space is shared by the virtual SD Card. Basically a "Reset to factory settings" wipes the /data partition, nothing else. Which should give about 8.2 GB of available flash memory for users.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

It's not wasted. Without it wouldn't be possible to upgrade with less then 1.5GB free space. And since this is not a phone so backup is....... and since Average Joe wouldn't have a clue why he can't update or why the TV complains about lack of space and what space this is the only idiotproof solution. I did have N900 with 32GB of storage built in in 2009 and with just 2GB for installing apps. And when that was full, the phone was not able to install even the system upgrades from official repo. So deleteing/uninstalling was the only way. But unlike the TV, that was true linux device so that storage was easy to repartition and problem was solved.