Join now - be part of our community!

Is the XR reveal downplaying OLED?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Is the XR reveal downplaying OLED?

I’ve just watched the Sony presentation of the new XR TVs, with ‘Cognitive Intelligence’.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/newbravia?cid=DM98094&bid=1174528179&src=eml&resp_id=11757634&cci...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he5YwEHwNCo&feature=youtu.be

GoogleTV, with picture processing better than ever, but not a hint of the manifold problems described in this Community that spoil customer enjoyment of Sony TVs.

Well, of course not, why would they?

But the really interesting takeaway, I thought, is that the the top set, the 8K one, is LED not OLED, as are the next two TV model ranges described. And the two OLED model ranges bring up the rear of the five.

Is this Sony backing away from OLED?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There won't even be a 55 LCD 4k top model this year (namely the x95j) since it won't be able to compete with the oleds and a "Panasonic gz/hz2000-like" high luminance panel... I do not see any downplaying here. In the contrary I do not see any real news on the LCD side (aka no mini led)

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @rooobb 

Can you help me understand why what you say would be true of a 55in model, yet not true of the larger X95J sets?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Because of the way OLED panel are manufactured the price get higher on larger panel. But on 55" the price of OLED are at the same level of top LCD and much better on most use cases.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

Your assertion is simply not borne out here, for 55in Sony 2020 sets:-

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/televisions/view-all-tvs/sony/size=55-to-60/_/N-6srfZ1z...

where the OLEDs are £1699 and £1399 respectively, and the top LED set is £999.

So has it changed radically for 2021? And you know the not-yet-generally-released pricing information for the 2021 Sony TVs?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The assertion(or better speculation) was not mine but from FOMO on YouTube but for my limited experience I completely agree.

Price are fluctuating everyday but comparing the best price in Italy for the A8 (1350 in early November) and the price at the time of the XH95 (around 1100)  and the fact that there is a huge gap in picture quality none choose the XH95. If they wanted an LCD they went for the XH90 (699 ). A lot of them btw.

The more you go higher in size the less are spending for an OLED (the gap between a 77 AG9 towards an LCD if far greater and A8 is not even available) 

About future price everyone can guess but there are info around the internet that LCD panel are expected to cost 30% more in 2021. Let's see, it is too early