Join now - be part of our community!

Information not available

Oneofus
New

Information not available

Bravia model KD-43X8309C.  About 2 weeks old. It was working fine from the start until about 3 or 4 days ago when checking the guide all the channels showed 'Information not available'. When viewing a program the information at the bottom of the screen shows for example "001  BBC One "and on the blue strip "loading" but then no information and the blue strip disappears. After a few minutes the information was working normally again until this morning 16.10.16.

All channels show 'Information not available' and when watching a program a sign appears telling me that the tv is not comnected to the internet, then about 1 or 2 miutes later a sign appears telling me that the tv is connected to the internet yet at no time has any 'information' become available. I have looked through the self help and the system informs me that the tv is connected and the signal strength is excellent. I can watch programs  but having no program information is annoying but not as annoying has having 'conectivity' message appearing on the screen every 20 minutes or so.  I have tired resetting the tv from the begining but to no avail. This tv was not cheap and I am not very impressed. All other items that use the router are all functioning normally at the same time the tv is not.  Any solutions?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Thats a bug of these TV sets. EPG does not load as a separate function same way with other TVs or boxes.

EPG loads when one channel of a TP(transponder), that contains many channels, is accessed.

A reboot or a power loss, erases all previously loaded EPGs. One channel of every TP must be accessed again.

Interactive TV Services is somehow improved in latest firmwares. Works exellent for my satellite channels. Red, blue or other RC buttons if internet is available. Previously we had to press the green lines Teletext button on RC. I am not sure if this is transmition improvement or a Sony improvement.

Maybe Sony will include next firmwares an EPG saving option and a separate function to EPG search.

Oneofus
New

Hello MiCal1967,

Many thanks for you reply, it is good to know someone understood the issue I have with my TV.

Unfortunately I am not tech savy and havn't a clue what a TP or an EPG or how many channels are grouped to what. Could you advise, in plain simple language what procedure I should follow to eradicate the problem. This afternoon the 'not connected to the interent' message appears for about 10 - 15 seconds and then the 'connected to the internet' message appears. The sequence is then repeated for about 2 - 10 minutes although it could take longer. There was about 2 weeks since the first bout to the the second which is happening now (about 19.00hrs Sunday 30th Oct.)

In hope

Best regards

Oneofus

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Oneofus

I don't live in UK so I cannot completely understand your TV System(YouView or other).

What I can understand from your issue description is that you have a WiFi or an internet provider issue. It is a little bit difficult to understand if your internet connection or WiFi is stable or have infrequent disconnections.

My suggestion is to

• Try a Wired connection with your modem-router. If everything goes fine then your issue is your Wifi connection and must bring your router as close as possible to your TV or remove obstacles between them.
  • Check your modem router transmition channel. Try another channel for your WiFi from modem-router settings.

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30054/kw/

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10361/kw/

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55882/kw/

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84374/kw/

• If even wired, issue continuous, then you must check according to your internet provider instructions. You may need a new modem-router or just reset your router and reapply settings of your provider.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Oneofus wrote:

Hello MiCal1967,

Many thanks for you reply, it is good to know someone understood the issue I have with my TV.

Unfortunately I am not tech savy and havn't a clue what a TP or an EPG or how many channels are grouped to what. Could you advise, in plain simple language what procedure I should follow to eradicate the problem. This afternoon the 'not connected to the interent' message appears for about 10 - 15 seconds and then the 'connected to the internet' message appears. The sequence is then repeated for about 2 - 10 minutes although it could take longer. There was about 2 weeks since the first bout to the the second which is happening now (about 19.00hrs Sunday 30th Oct.)

In hope

Best regards

Oneofus

EPG simply means Electronic Programme Guide. This is the thing you were looking at; the list with channels down the left and times/days across the top that should have been telling you what was on when, but wasn't.

In UK terms, a TP is a Mux (multiplex), which is a group of channels, as in the EPG, crammed onto one of the old 21-69 TV channels that used to carry just one station, but thanks to the wonders of digital, can now be shared.

if you have ever wondered why cinemas, that used to show one film at a time but now house several different ones at once, are called 'multiplexes', that's why.

Here is a list of what channels are on each mux:-

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

Basically, to get your whole EPG back, you have to tune to one (just one will do) channel from each multiplex that delivers channels you can get - probably just the main 8 for most people, and just one at most for all the one-channel local ones, in turn. Each tuning populates the EPG for all the channels in that multiplex.

(A rubbish way to do things, isn't it? Just one more thing Sony haven't got right, and need to with these sets; and distressingly, something they always got right in the past, so you didn't even have to think about the EPG; and it's something every other manufacturer has no trouble getting right.

Did you say how your TV was connected to your router? If wifi, can you try an Ethernet cable connection?

There are a number of things that could actually be going wrong from the router end, but unless you are getting interruptions on other devices in your home, I would assume these are false positives put up by the TV.

Sorry to give the usual boring advice for this; but do a Factory Reset and see if the problem goes away.

As you will need to do a retune afterwards, do this before doing the mux dance above.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @royabrown

"Basically, to get your whole EPG back, you have to tune to one (just one will do) channel from each multiplex that delivers channels you can get - probably just the main 8 for most people, and just one at most for all the one-channel local ones, in turn. Each tuning populates the EPG for all the channels in that multiplex"

This was exactly the same for me too. For Digital and Satellite receiver.

But I have noticed, a few days now, that the EPG loads for both after Reboot, without accessing(tune) one channel on each TP. Just browsing EPG.This could be just an EPG app improvement update.:smileyconfused:

This does not happen for all channels though. A small improvement.:smileysad: