Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware update to v6.827 (OREO) 2015/2016 tvs

profile.country.GB.title
romeo_kii

Firmware update to v6.827 (OREO) 2015/2016 tvs

hi all , anyone know when firmware v6.287 (oreo)  for 2015/2016 tvs is going to be released for europe ? its already been released for asia/pacific, thanks 

69 REPLIES 69
profile.country.BG.title
headnail

Nope, and I doubt there will be one.....

Next time you have to buy a TV....avoid Sony, that's what I did.....LG OLED instead of Sony OLED, then for LCD went with Samsung.

Just get a brand that provides decent aftermarket support and keeps its products up to date, I swear it took Sony ages to bring Android 7 to the W800 series....

If you really need Android/Google TV, just get a Google Chromecast with Google TV, at least you know Google will always keep it up to date....

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

LG and Samsung do not provide any major system upgrade at all to any tv. Just to be fair.

profile.country.BG.title
headnail

Whilst that may be true, they do however provide security updates... what's the latest security patch level on the W805C with Android 7?

Samsung are not without their flaws either, however I used to be an avid Sony fan, but this debacle made me rethink my position.

If no regions had gotten the Anroid 8 upgrade I would understand that support for the platform had run its course, at the end of the day no one can expect perpetual support for a given product, the fact that pretty much every other region has recieved the update EXCEPT Europe, it seems somewhat discrematory. 

The lack of communication from Sony on this topic just adds fuel to the fire, if they came out and said it staright (which they probably won't due to legal reasons) I would most likely understand. A simple statement along the lines of "product has reached EoL, no further updates, Andoid 8 update not coming to Europe due to ......" would have sufficed. As far as i can recall there were numerous press releases that stated that 2015 ATV1 platform would recieve the update....and it did not exclude any regions...

At this point I can only assume that it's a licensing issue with Google that is holding back the update for Europe (i.e. most likely Sony has to pay extra?).

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

Maybe where you are, but both my 2020 LG TVs have updated twice since I bought them earlier this year.

Or I guess it depends on what you mean by major; LG and Samsung don’t have to do major updates like the Sony ones, as they have both got all their sets pretty much right in the first place.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2 by Major I mean a major release update like the one we are discussing here between android 7 and 8. Your 2020 lg TV will never get webos 6.0 with the new full screen homepage while still getting minor updates (like the w805c was getting from Sony in any case)

profile.country.BG.title
headnail

Like I said before, neither LG nor Samsung has ever claimed that they will provide "major" (or generational if you will) updates to their sets, just the opposite, they have clearly stated that such updates would not be coming to given TV sets.

Sony on the other hand, not only has officially announced in the past that W805 would receive (i.e. 2015 models) the Android 8 update, but has also released it in certain regions only (again, pretty much everywhere except EU).

Like I said, my assumption is that Sony will:

1) Not release Android 8 for EU W800 series, most likely due to licensing issues (expenses)

2) Not make an official statement regarding the lack of EU W800 series lack of Android update, due to potential legal reasons or will somehow try to infer that due to end of support for 2015 models Android 8 update will not happen (irrelevant of the fact that Android 8 update HAS happened for other regions!).

3) At most keep trying to "calm" a few unruly forum users with "template" replies such as "feedback has been passed along..." until said forum users give up on the issue and the whole thing "blows over" and everyone forgets about the whole thing...

That's my 2 cents...I've made my peace with the current situation (see point 3 above) and have drawn my conclusions (i.e. have not bought another Sony TV set and most likely will not do so in future, let alone any other piece of hardware from them), at the end of the day, the "problem" is easily fixed with a Google Chromecast with Google TV dongle or another Android TV box from a decent manufacturer (i.e. one that supports its products)... but that fact that consumers are not treated equally and that misleading statements have been made leaves a nasty aftertaste that lingers.....

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are free to have yout feeling and opinion, please do not state fact without supporting it with evidence: where did Sony official announced that W805C will get Android 8 in Europe?

profile.country.BG.title
headnail

I see your point.... I guess that the statement here https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/articles/00236050 applies solely to the US market, on which correct me if I am wrong but the W800 is the same product as the W805C (except the different TV tuners most likely)?

So what you are saying is that your view is that Sony will not in fact release Android 8 for 2015 models in Europe?

Why do you think that may be? Is the hardware (except the tuners) different between US, Asia Pacific and EU models of the W800 series?

From a purely principal stand point, should customers in different geographical regions not be entitled to the same user experience from a given product line?

profile.country.MK.title
Muchakis

Hello,

You can read under applicable series on this official link:

Learn about your Sony Android TV: Android Oreo Interactive TV Guide | Sony UK

profile.country.GB.title
imtotessam
Explorer

Muchakis- that is the same info I had seen that informed me the update was imminent. Disappointing isn't it.