Join now - be part of our community!

Dolly Atmos not available on android TV 9

profile.country.GB.title
Burnttoast123
Explorer

Dolly Atmos not available on android TV 9

I have a xf6587 and recently updated to android TV 9. Dolby Atmos appears to be working with my sonos arc on Netflix but not with Tidal Dolby Atmos streams or Plex using the demos. Do these apps need updated to support the TV? 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You didn't have atmos before and never will

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Burnttoast123 

Parton is such sweet sorrow....,

I can’t find your TV, but the F suggests 2018, which predates the eARC needed for true Dolby Atmos, though ARC seems to be handling the cut-down sort-of Atmos that Netflix purveys, for you.

You may have more luck if you can put these streams direct into your Atmos-capable soundbar, letting that handle the audio, and passing the video on to the TV, rather than the other way round.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:

You didn't have atmos before and never will

That's just wrong. You can output EAC3 based Atmos via the EAC3 API with several applications like Kodi. You can do that with any ATV2 based TV back to 2016.

There are some reports on reddit that Atmos support has actually improved with Pie. Some say that it now works on Netflix with 2016/2017 BRAVIAs and that Atmos even works for Prime now, see this thread. So I assumed that Sony might have added support for the EAC3 JOC API for all ATV2 based BRAVIAs. I can't test it though due to a lack of support through my soundbar.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@royabrown2  schrieb:

I can’t find your TV, but the F suggests 2018, which predates the eARC needed for true Dolby Atmos

We keep people iterating on this BS? Only MLP (True HD) based Atmos requires eARC. DD+/EAC3 based Atmos of streaming services work over ARC.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Kuschelmonschter 

You must explain to me how that isn’t exactly what I said, straight after your selective edit? :-

I can’t find your TV, but the F suggests 2018, which predates the eARC needed for true Dolby Atmos, though ARC seems to be handling the cut-down sort-of Atmos that Netflix purveys, for you.

Maybe somebody missed his preferred Black Friday deal? 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…