Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Atmos with Netflix on a Sony TV?

profile.country.GB.title
OrigenHTPC
Explorer

Dolby Atmos with Netflix on a Sony TV?

Hi.

I'm trying to watch Netflix with Dolby Atmos. According to the Netflix website it states that "Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)" are supported. So today I bought a Sony KD49XF8796BU Bravia TV (which I believe is a 2018 model).

Unfortuately however when I tried it out this afternoon it appears not to be working. I have a Samsung Soundbar (HW-K850), connected via HDMI ARC, with leds that should glow blue when Dolby Atmos is enabled - but they remained off.

On Netflix it says "If you have a Dolby Atmos capable system and a plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD, available titles will display a Dolby Atmos icon next to their description" but strangely none of the titles have the Atmos logo despite having the required subscription. So that makes me wonder if the TV really is compatible or if it is an outdated version of the Netflix app?

Ive checked for TV and app updates and have spoken to Netflix but they werent too helpful and suggested I speak to Sony, who Ive subsequently emailed, but I imagine they will just say speak to Netflix. So I was hoping someone here might be able to help instead! Could it be some of the audio options on my TV perhaps?

Many Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

The short version answer is that you have a "cheaper" model compared to e.g. XF9005 that supports dolby atmos, even though they are based on the same MT5891 SoC. The same, also, stands for the 2017 XE9005 model that shares the same SoC and lacks dolby atmos capability. People assert that it is only a software restriction that holds only to promote more expensive models and can be lifted with a software update by Sony. I wouldn't bet on that though (meaning Sony's intentions).

profile.country.GB.title
OrigenHTPC
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. Hmm that does make sense, but on the Netflix site it simply states that 2018 models of Sony Bravia TVs are compatible. If some lower models are excluded then that is very misleading. Like you say its probably only a software issue in any case frustratingly.

In fact because it sounded so vauge I even spoke to Netflix beforehand and gave them the model number and he said it was "guaranteed" to work! I have also just heard back from Sony and they say 'we can confirm that the KD-49XF8796 does support Dolby Atmos for the Netflix application'. Which is good news - unless they are all referencing the same (possibly wrong) info on the Netflix page!

If it really is supported though it still leaves the mystery of why its not working! I have the audio output set to Dolby Digital Plus (which I believe includes Atmos) in PCM mode. However in the soundbar documentation mentions that the output should be in 'Bitstream' format, but the TV doesn't have a specific option for that (although isnt DD+ a form of Bitstream?). Any ideas please?