Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.GB.title
Elbmal
Explorer

I have found a simple fix to this running ipvanish on the TV which was installed from the play store on the TV. Before whenever I went to connect it rebooted. I went to settings - security & restrictions - unselected verify apps and then scrolled down to allowed apps and then simply selected ipvanish so that the slider to the right turns blue. Logged back into the ipvanish app and it connects without causing a reboot
profile.country.GB.title
toothmaniac
Explorer

hi i am from india, i bought sony KD65 , everything was working perfect ,, one day i installed express vpn , then the problem started ,, my tv shut down itself every 1 min ,, i called sony customer care he came and he checked for 1 hour then he saw a ant inside my screen so he removed my tv panel and he fixed it again,, again i had same issue , then i realized the problem is with express vpn once i deleted from my tv it was working good, point is even the sony me dont know the issue ,, he thought its cos of ant ,, no hope from sony ,, i really want express vpn on my tv , dont know what to do,, now i recived new update , but im scared to install express vpn  . ps- sorry for my bad english

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Rob1980
Explorer

No issues since the latest update, go ahead and try it, if it fails there
are solutions in this thread to successfully restart your tv.
--
Sent from My IPhone
profile.country.GB.title
toothmaniac
Explorer

^^^

have you tried yourself?

cos resetting my tv will erase all apps and have to install and sign in all apps which takes time

profile.country.GB.title
Rob1980
Explorer

Yes, update your tv and ensure you install the latest express vpn or
confirm it’s up to date. No issues at all, can leave vpn on turnoff tv etc
all issues resolved.
--
Sent from My IPhone
profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

!!!DO NOT UPDATE TO VERSION 7.6.3!!!

The problem has been introduced back in the latest version of ExpressVPN. I have contacted the expressvpn support and they do not have a repo with older versions so apperently there is no way to go back to 7.6.2.

First they were denying that the bug was solved and the lady I had on the chat was telling me that the bug cannot be solved by them because the problem was in the firmware and not in their app itself. I thought I was living a nightmare.

Then I have asked her to search for the following line in the changelog:

WHAT'S NEWFixed:• Issue where Sony Bravia TVs would reboot if the VPN was connected before putting TV in standby mode.

and according to her that modification was introduced in 7.4.2. From their website I have downloaded and installed back 7.5.4 but the bug is still there. As anyone noted the version of app where the bug was fixed?

profile.country.GB.title
Rob1980
Explorer

Thanks for the heads up, I better check to ensure express vpn isn’t set to
automatically update.

--
Sent from My IPhone
profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

So apparently the official version released on the play store (7.6.3) still works.

I forgot I was in the beta testing program. Only the 7.6.3-beta is broken and I hope, after my feedback, they won't release that.

KevinM2k
New

Im getting this issue as well, I'm on a newly purchased expressvpn subscription. The reboot loop has just returned so I'm assuming my app has just updated. It reboots 3 times then logs me out.

I can have app installed but if it's on it reboots. Is there anyway around this and is it only expressvpn affected or all Vpns? I would just connect it on router but things like iPlayer and Netflix don't work with the VPN connected. 

Maco10061
Explorer

same here I never buy Sony again I've paid for 2 different VPNs one was an  the other one on the Sony android tv Google play store if the can't bothered to issue a fix why go out and £1600 for a TV that doesn't work