Join now - be part of our community!

App for satellite in lieu of FreeSat???

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

App for satellite in lieu of FreeSat???

As Sony hate/don’t like/refuse to support or cant be bothered to include FreeSat on their TV’s anymore I have a question 

I’d their an App for satellite in lieu of FreeSat???

basically an app that will utilise the Satellite feeds on the back of a Sony TV & provides an EPG & possibly enables recording from satellite also with a miracle the aerial too?

do Sony users not complain at the lack of FreeSat??? Or avoid the TV because of this?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

No, there is no such app.

And if there was, it would infringe Freesat’s licensing arrangements, which Sony have declined to engage with.

I think you can record from satellite, can’t you? Maybe hampered by only having Now & Next so you would have to do it manually, though.

But for terrestrial recording from the aerial, you don’t need a miracle, or even an app. Just exit the YouView side of these sets to the Freeview side, plug in a suitable HDD, and off you go.

And yes, some Sony users complain about the lack of Freesat, and of those who thought, or were told, that they were getting it, some have returned their sets because of this.

But others have shrugged their shoulders and got on without it.

As for users who didn’t buy a Sony set because of the lack of Freesat, I don’t know how you would measure them separately from those who didn’t buy these sets because of Android, or some other consideration. Or indeed, measure them at all.

But I don’t see Sony in tears because their sets aren’t selling, or reintroducing Freesat because of this. But I do see them introducing a range of Freeview Play sets, which may be indicative of something. Especially if they go on to make these comparable in technology with their premium Android OLEDs.

Lastly though, I am glad there is someone else here who knows the difference between ‘Freesat’ and ‘satellite tuner(s)’, and finds it important. I was starting to feel a bit isolated....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

(Duplicate removed)

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
DavyPlan
New

I for one am pretty annoyed about the absolutely appalling satellite support from Sony. I find it completely bizarre that a SONY TV integrates better with an external SAMSUNG satellite receiver than the built in satellite receiver.

If you enable YouView then it disables the internal satellite tuner (wasted 2 hours on support forums to work that one out.)

If you enable the internal sat tuner then it disables YouView and if you then have an external sat box for recording then the TV seems to favour that input and make it really awkward to navigate back to the internal satellite input.

Seriously I really don't know why they even put a satellite tuner into the device. . . Oh wait a minute yes I do. People like me had sat input as one of their criteria for the TVs I was looking at. Feel like I've been conned!!

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Sony Android now does FreeSat.

https://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/blog/sony-bravia-android-freesat-tvs-launch

although this isn’t it probably never will be available on my KD-XG9005.