Join now - be part of our community!

Android Oreo 8 ! Caution ? APK's and APP's possible big problems ?

profile.country.GB.title
Big_Yin
Explorer

Android Oreo 8 ! Caution ? APK's and APP's possible big problems ?

Hi peeps, first time on here, hello :slight_smile: 

I own the XF9005 2018 model Android tv, I'm in the UK.

I haven't taken the Android 8 Oreo update just as yet because I'm struggling to get the answers I need and calling sony is a waste of time on this matter I find.

All I am trying to find out because it slightly worries me, is that some of the App's I have currently are now only available in APK file form which can be added to the Android Sony Bravia tv using various methods as we know, but it can be rather tricky sometimes to get them going, well for me anyway, lol, so I don't want an update potentially maybe breaking my current App's and APK's I have installed, I hope you understand what I mean :thinking:

The APK's and Apps I have currently work perfectly but as I say, I'm still on Android 7 and scared to take the Android 8 update you see but of course I would love to take the Oreo update with no fear but unfortunately that isn't the case as I've said.

What the guy from Sony did say on the phone was only one thing and that was if your Apps or APK's are not fully compatible with Android 8 Oreo for my Sony TV he said they may well end up being erased during the update process or just not work full stop afterward and that kind of worried me a bit as I'm not a total tech head, lol, he said they may be fine on Android 7 for sony bravia but not Android 8 for Bravia, he said it's down to me to find out for myself and I instantly got a headache hearing that as I wanted better news than that.

Has anyone so far heard of peoples App's and APK's that are currently working on the sony bravia on Android 7 either being erased during update or stopped working forever after the Android 8 Oreo update I wonder ? :thinking:

I cant contact the relevant people regarding the Apps and APK's as they wont reply, so I'm stuck for now not knowing :disappointed_relieved::thinking:

Leaving it down to trial & error is worrying for most people I imagine. 😞 

Anyone in the know understand what I'm talking about and also know what the correct answers really are ?

Appreciate all comments, thank you very much guys n girls :slight_smile: Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

To be honest unless you know for a fact those APKs are going to work with Android 8 its totally suck it and see. If you are not sure my advice would be to not update because there is no going back to Android 7 and if there are applications which are not compatible then you are potentially going to lose them. In theory I am not sure what would stop them working generally but, I am sure there is no guarantee.

The APKs you have, can't you just get hold of the latest versions? If they are still supported they should work.

Ultimately you have to weigh up the cost if you lose the apps against the benefits for you to move to Oreo.

I am not sure anyone else can tell you that. I run very few custom applications on my TV so for me, not an issue, if you have lots which you can't replace then I would stay on Nougat. The only other option is to ask advice on every APK you have to see if users have specific experience with that app.

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

FOR INFO: I have OS Updated v6.6510 on 43XE8005 and all my installed APK's are working as normal.

profile.country.GB.title
Big_Yin
Explorer

@gcac2828 wrote:

FOR INFO: I have OS Updated v6.6510 on 43XE8005 and all my installed APK's are working as normal.

Did you know beforehand though if they would work on a TV with android 8 or did you just chance your luck maybe?

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

No...I just assumed the update would be fine.
It's a pity that previous OS can not be installed when new O S a new has
problem.