Join now - be part of our community!

65A1 - random blank / black screen with Bravia logo bottom left

profile.country.GB.title
UKTIVO
Explorer

65A1 - random blank / black screen with Bravia logo bottom left

Hi all. 

I'm a brand new Sony owner. Normally go with Samsung. Just fancied a change. 

The 65A1 OLED is fantastic but I do have one issue. I think it may be part of the long running issue that other owners have posted about. Also. Before anyone moans, I wasn't able to post in the open thread. So had to create this new one. Happy if any mod wants to merge this post. 

Anyway. I've had the TV for about 4 days. Each and every day, without notice, the screen will go blank showing just the Bravia logo in the bottom right. The sound continues. 

I've noticed this is happening only after I've used the Android TV service. The way to stop it is to turn off the set, leave for 10 mins or so. Turn back on. As long as you don't use the Android TV service. It doesn't seem to happen again. 

So. If this is an known fault, are Sony fixing it? The threads I've seen with similar issues are quite old, I would have hoped it had been fixed by now.  Do I reject the TV, change for another Sony A1 or change for another manufacturer? 

Thanks. 

16 REPLIES 16
dave11674
Explorer

Same here 4 days after getting my tv

ive emailed sony directly ill wait and see what they say

ill try remove the samba tv app see what that does

happened to me on hdmi 1 watching virgin tivo

and hdmi 3 on the ps4 pro

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
paurose6
New

Had my 65A1 for 4 days (May 2018) and I am not at all happy. Mine came with cosmetic damage to the bezel, Sony are absolutely useless and are not taking any responsibility for it. Even telling me this is not covered under warranty. I need to pay for someone to repair/replace it after already paying what I have for the tv. 

I am having the black screen as well and I did NOT install Samba so unsure why I am having the issues after what others have posted?  

I will never buy anything Sony again. The company are not what they used to be which is a shame. Anyone thinking of buying an A1, please don't, go to another brand

djelia77
Explorer

Hi dave11674

Just wondering if you got to the bottom of this. Mine has started doing this quite consistently recently and with a similar setup to yours (vm v6 box)

Any advice that helped you would be appreciated (if any)

Thanks

Darren

profile.country.GB.title
davegibbo1
Explorer

I have the problem where my new 55a1 screen blinks. It is literally momentary but sometimes happens one or twice an hour or more. Sony have been no help at all stating it is the hdmi cables etc too close to each other but this is disputed by a qualified tv engineer. I bought this tv on all the great reviews but I will add my own wherever I can now advising people and just how unsupportive the so called Sony support is!

sony should take responsibility and help.

profile.country.DK.title
RoosDK
Explorer

I was able to mitigate the issue by disabling the SambaTV app manually, but then had to live with being prompted once in a while, that the Samba app was not running. I then had to navigate to the apps, activate the Samba app, and could then immediately thereafter disable it again.

The problem seems to have been solved with the Dolby Vision firmware update. Since then I have not seen any of these issues. Also seem to remember that the Samba app was mentioned in the release notes of said update, as part of the list of bugs fixed...

Roos

profile.country.GB.title
davegibbo1
Explorer

Many thanks for this but when the TV was new, a matter of a couple of months ago it downloaded the latest updates but has continue to have a problem with the screen 'blinking'

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Ok, so I am having a similar problem with a 65XF9005. Here's what I have just sent to Sony customer support...

Dear Mary,

I can now provide you with some further information which may help your engineers produce a resolution.

The 65XF9005 television which suffered from the picture blanking issue has been replaced by another 65XF9005 set. This set worked perfectly for 5 days without any picture blanking episodes UNTIL I performed a firmware upgrade to V6.5603.0175EUA. Now this replacement television has the same issue.

I have spent some time looking to find the cause and I can tell you the following :-

1. This problem only happens when the television has been disconnected from the mains electricity supply for at least 1 minute.
  2. It only happens when viewing HD broadcast television channels – either DTT HD or DSAT HD channels  – it does not happen when viewing SD channels.
  3. If the television is powered up to an HD channel, the screen will blank within 30 seconds of the ANDROID logo being replaced by the broadcast picture.
  4. If the television is powered up to an SD channel and remains on the SD channel, the screen will not blank.
  5. If the television is powered up to an SD channel but is changed to an HD channel within 15 seconds, the picture will blank before a further 15 seconds elapse.
  6. If the television is powered up to an SD channel but is changed to an HD channel after 30 seconds, the picture will not blank.

I hope this is of some help.

You may want to experiment yourself and see if you can determine if a repeatable sequence of events causes your problem to occur.