Join now - be part of our community!

65A1 - random blank / black screen with Bravia logo bottom left

profile.country.GB.title
UKTIVO
Explorer

65A1 - random blank / black screen with Bravia logo bottom left

Hi all. 

I'm a brand new Sony owner. Normally go with Samsung. Just fancied a change. 

The 65A1 OLED is fantastic but I do have one issue. I think it may be part of the long running issue that other owners have posted about. Also. Before anyone moans, I wasn't able to post in the open thread. So had to create this new one. Happy if any mod wants to merge this post. 

Anyway. I've had the TV for about 4 days. Each and every day, without notice, the screen will go blank showing just the Bravia logo in the bottom right. The sound continues. 

I've noticed this is happening only after I've used the Android TV service. The way to stop it is to turn off the set, leave for 10 mins or so. Turn back on. As long as you don't use the Android TV service. It doesn't seem to happen again. 

So. If this is an known fault, are Sony fixing it? The threads I've seen with similar issues are quite old, I would have hoped it had been fixed by now.  Do I reject the TV, change for another Sony A1 or change for another manufacturer? 

Thanks. 

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

Suggest begin by checking that the TV's system software and all apps are up-to-date, or have you already done that?

profile.country.GB.title
UKTIVO
Explorer

Hi. Thanks for the reply.  I think all is up to date.  I have to say the lack of manual to show where everything is doesn't help matters.  

profile.country.GB.title
UKTIVO
Explorer

I've taken a video showing the issue. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as so far Sony support have taken days to tell me it's the screen saver and to disable it.

[Link removed by moderator]

profile.country.GB.title
BLUE_FIRE
Explorer

Hi!

After all the problems that I'm facing with my 6 months old Sony XD8005 and all the problems that I read in this forum, my suggestion would be to change the TV for another brand.

I just keep mine because the image quality is really good, the rest of it is trash. This will be my first and last Sony TV.

profile.country.NL.title
d.aulman
Explorer

Hi,

I received my new KD55-A1 oled TV three weeks ago. I updated it to the most recent software (android 7) and I experience exacty the same prolem; after watching regular (digital cable) TV for about a minute, the screen turns blank (like a screensaver, with the Bravia logo in the bottom right). When I press a button on the remote I return to the TV channel, but it keeps doing this about every one or two minutes. Really annoying! I hope Sony will fix this soon, because the TV is hardly usable for me like this...

David, the Netherlands

profile.country.GB.title
UKTIVO
Explorer

Hi. I had my tv swapped out but before my old tv was collected I actually figured out why it was doing this.  

There is an app called samba tv. When I first got the tv I chose not to activate this app as I had no need for it.  This was when the blank screen issue first showed itself. Before I sent the tv back I carried out a full factory reset.  Samba tv appeared again only this time I said yes to the first install screen, then chose the tick box to not install and don't ask again.  Sorry can't recall the exact phrase used.  

Since then neither the rejected tv or the new replacement tv did the blank screen thing again. 

Give it a go and remember to report back.  

FYI. Sony, to this day, that's near 5 wks I think, haven't replied or even tried to resolve the problem.  That's pathetic support and they should be embarrassed about it. I've just spent 6.5k UK pounds on Sony products last month.  Unfortunately, I won't do that again.  Their loss not mine. 

Good luck.  

profile.country.NL.title
d.aulman
Explorer

Hi UKTIVO,

Thanks for the response. The Samba TV service indeed seems to be the culprit.

I reset the TV to factory settings. As long as I don't install the Samba TV service, the problem is gone.

I don't think I will miss this Samba TV service, so this is an acceptable temporary solution.
But I do hope that Sony will fix this problem, because the Samba service keeps asking to install several times a day which is a bit annoying.

Best regards,

David

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @UKTIVO and thanks for the info and your solution :slight_smile:

You initially said "I've noticed this is happening only after I've used the Android TV service."

Can you give us a little more information as to what  "Android TV service"  means?

(e.g. were you watching cable tv like @d.aulman, were /had you been using another app e.g. YouTube / Netfilx etc?)

Any more info would be really appreciated.

Thanks

profile.country.DK.title
RoosDK
Explorer

Hi

New owner of a 65A1. I just experienced the same problem, for the first time after using the TV for 5 days or so. The only change/difference seems to be, that I briefly ventured into the Google Play store, but backed out once I was prompted for a login, as I had no intention of logging in at that moment.

Went back to watching a TV show, and briefly thereafter the black screen/logo appeared for the first time.

I rebooted the TV set, and that seems to have cleared the problem for now. But this behaviour is not really practical.

The TV is fully updated.

Regards

Roos