Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
delwatson

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi all

In regards to the image stutter on from the BT Ultra HD box, Sony is investigating this issue.  Ive also added it to the list of issues and bugs:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2204506#M45422

Cheers

The ever growing list. Good efforts though Quinnicus.. Will the 2016 models be covered in this forum also ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@delwatson wrote:

The ever growing list. Good efforts though Quinnicus.. Will the 2016 models be covered in this forum also ?

Hiya

When/if there is a need for a breakaway 2016 thread, im sure someone will create one.  But in general (for Android TV), the bugs and issues are the same on both 2015 and 2016 models, due to same/similar software and hardware.

Yes, the ever growing list - but unfortunately getting feedback for these issues to update this forum is as rare as hens teeth :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
ultrasilent

Quinnicus, what is your opinioin regarding 3d issues which I explained earlier?

Banlon
Explorer

Hi

Just bought my 55X8505C a few days ago, My griefs are about user experience and feature set only, the picture etc is fine.

1.) The "Sony" settings menus for first time setup of channels, channel sorting etc is incredibly slow and cumbersome. Some of the worst UI I have ever seen on any device. Ironically the Android parts work much faster even though the UI is much heavier there. Channel sorting when you have mixed coded and not coded channels is practically impossible.

Bug or Works as Designed (by an 8-year old)?

2.) I have terrestrial (DVB-T2) and satellite (DVB-S2, dual head), but apparently the channel lists are separate, meaning I need to switch input when channel surfing (I have never seen this before in any STB I have owned). The use case in Sweden being channel 6 which is popular is on terrestrial while 1-5 and 7 are on satellite.

Bug or Works as Designed? 

3.) The twin tuner functionality was important in choosing the new TV combined with the USB HDD recording feature. I have an STB with twin tuner functionality and HDD recording which I truly hate (it is made by Sagem). I saw the opportunity to get rid of it but to my surprise (and mainly why I write here), it doesn't seem to be possible to watch one DVB-S2 channel and record another DVB-S2 even though I have activated both Main and Sub RF connectors and can watch each one separately. In all different STB with DVR functionality I've tried they all support this very common use case.

As I understand from many posts here, this is currently a known issue/limitation. But does anyone know if it will ever be fixed?

I can still get a refund within the 30 day grace period and can try a Samsung or Panasonic instead.

Sorry if my post is wrong or offensive in any way, I usually cry silently and buy from someone else and is not used to post on boards. I just really want this otherwise nice TV to work properly.

hankmarvin107

Get a refund, you will find more bugs as time goes on
Promises of fixes or features from Sony are often not met.
Banlon
Explorer

Thanks for the advice, the more I use the TV the more frustrated I get. Found that all you can do with the USB HDD function is to record, nothing else works (rewind, pause etc), I think that was already on the known list though. 

Microstuttering when changing channels, random freezes and the smart controller was unresponsive for a couple of hours. 😞 

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

@Banlon , are you getting any micro stutter/judder on your tv hdd recordings? Especially on moving or panning scenes.  My hdd works perfectly with recording, pause, rewinding etc but the micro stutter makes it unusable. I haven't found anyone with this issue however so it's a mystery to me. 

Banlon
Explorer

@Garymjh wrote:

@Banlon , are you getting any micro stutter/judder on your tv hdd recordings? Especially on moving or panning scenes.  My hdd works perfectly with recording, pause, rewinding etc but the micro stutter makes it unusable. I haven't found anyone with this issue however so it's a mystery to me. 

No, not that I can see when recording some beach handball at least. Haven't used it very much though.

The pausing when watching recording is fine for me too, it is the lack of "timeshift" pausing that is annoying for me.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Banlon

No there is no pause or timeshift during Recording. Menu in all functions are very poor.

About your other issues with tuners, the only thing that I can say, is that they do not give importance at all.

Even new firmware for USA sets PKG3.473.0107NAB did not solve problems with channels re-sorting themselves automatically and re-appearing themselves automatically after deletion.

I hope the delay for EU UK and Japan is because of this and because of failure to perfom the Update for many people resulting to dead sets.

A suggestion after these issues I have read for US update:

Do not Update through WiFi. Try a wired internet connection or USB method whenever our Update is released.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Boba77Fett wrote:

Just a few things I can think off the top of my head

Are you using an hdmi 2 0 cable as opposed to 1.4? 

There are no such things.

Devices may be HDMI 2.0 or 1.4, but HDMI cables are not.

They may be standard or high speed, Ethernet enabled or not, (so 4 combinations in all).

But properly certified HDMI cables may not mention an HDMI standard, at the risk of losing their certification.

Your question here should relate to the use of a properly certified high speed cable; nothing more.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking