Join now - be part of our community!

CASHBACK

profile.country.GB.title
grandkids6

CASHBACK

I wonder. What is the purpose of this sales gimmick of cashback. Let us be clear about this. Would not a reduction at the retail venue be more of an incentive, rather than the rigmarole of wending ones way through a nightmare of form filing? Also, from a moral view point.

If I purchase an item from a retailer at, lets say £500.00 and claim cashback of £50.00 and it has been insured:  In the event of accident/loss/theft etc do I tell my insurance company the value of said loss is £500 or £450. I am awaiting news from various insurance companies regarding cashback. What is the response from Sony?

A happy smiling old Grandpa.
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @grandkids6 :slight_smile:

Sony don't answer on these forums, but I would say the value would  be what you payed for it initially

as could be confirmed by the receipt.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
grandkids6

Dear Jumpsuit.

maybe you are missing my point. The receipt from the retailer will state the price paid at that purchase point in time. Then after 30 days you then claim your £200.00 back (Am amazed how many people post problems regarding Sony cash-back).

Then if you lose/damage  your camera and have to claim on the insurance do you claim on the receipt amount, which of course would be immoral, or on the cashback amount which in fact would be the VALUE of the camera. Two of the insurance companies I emailed said that the insurance valuation would be on the value of the camera at that point in time, when loss/damage occurred. Presenting a receipt (They said retailers would be checked) for the wrong amount may lead to insurance being null and void. Possibly even prosecution.

it is not the amount of cashback but the matter of honesty.

One wonders if Sony read these messages and act upon them.

I would be pleased if they could inform us all of the rationale behind the cashback gimmick

A happy smiling old Grandpa.