Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5 cannot use xperia transfer

PongMay
Visitor

Xperia 5 cannot use xperia transfer

I just get my new phone, try to do transfer, the gg store said the device (5) cannot use Xperia transfer. How can I transfer stuff to the new phone if the new phone not let me?

Update ur stuff now Sony!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Senseishodeluxe
Visitor

Hi there!!

I used Google drive to restore my data on my new phone. Go to settings -> system -> advanced -> Backup on. Press "Backup now"!

Restart the setup at the new phone. You will be asked for Google Drive Backup. I transfered my photos and music manually since this method will only restore app data, call history, contacts, device settings and sms text messages. 

Further possibility with Xperia Transfer. 

Im not sure but i think it could work with xperia Transfer too. I installed it manually on the xperia 5.

But you cannot use direct transfer method, instead try the cloud option! This option includes Photos and music etc. i think. 

Good luck!! 

PongMay
Visitor

I waiting for my day off to try on the app on Mac, but I mean sony have there own apps to made an easy transfer and the newest phone cannot run it? If the old phone cannot run its feel ok. I'm not expect the newest one cannot run there own apps, feel weird.

Martin1
Enthusiast

Hi @Pongsfx, let me see if I can help out here! 

the easiest way to transfer data from your old phone to your Xperia 5 is to use the backup service made by Google. This way you will be able to transfer mail, calendar, contacts, applications, setting, call history as well as images, videos, music and other document files.

If your old phone is a Xperia device, find and tap Settings > System > Backup > Enable "Back up to Google Drive" followed by tapping "Back up now". When this is done you can begin to set up your Xperia 5. When prompted in the setup guide to Copy apps & data, tap NEXT followed by either A backup from an Android phone or A backup from the cloud. Both options allow you to restore data from Google Drive. 

Keep in mind that if you have already set up your Xperia 5, you will need to reset your phone in order to get access to the setup guide.

I hope this helped! let me know if you have further questions!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I want to add to that that you need to make seperate backups from your chats inside Signal and WhatsApp.

These are not included in the Google backup.

Martin1
Enthusiast

That is correct, @Strampke. My knowledge regarding apps manufactured by a third party is a bit limited, but I know that What's App at least have a backup feature embedded in their app. So if you are using What's App, it might be worth checking out, @Pongsfx.

Hei133
Visitor

I too am frustrated with Xperia 5 not supported for Xperia transfer.

I don't sync my backups to Google.

So Thanks Sony, for making what was a an easy, stress free quick transfer and setup without need of any high speed data connections on previous gens of Xperias into a lengthy miserable frustrating setup. Especially when I made time amidst a busy schedule to get a new phone and was expecting to be fully setup and running in at most an hour. Now I have wasted so much time on this phone that I don't feel like setting it up any more.

This is not the out of box experience I am looking for on a flagship phone.

I always felt Sony had done a good job in balancing Android customization while making small usability touches which were greatly appreciated. It's sad to see these gone or replaced with less flexible/functional Android stock options. Such as a actually useful stamina mode, small apps, Xperia actions and now Xperia transfer.

If I liked or wanted a plain vanilla stock ASOP Android experience I would have bought a Pixel or Android One device instead.

Maybe next time Sony could make it for their customers who really wanted plain Android to flash that instead on boot. I'm okay with slower updates for a customized version if they are stable. Have no need for being number one in software updates race.

I suppose next time I should do detailed check on a company's customization before spending so much on a phone.

Yekollu
Contributor

The small useful additions from Sony are gone... no more email app, xperia transfer , Xperia actions, horizontal scrolling in app drawer Slightly_frowning_Face instead they force half baked apps like Side sense 

I think Sony management is really out of touch with reality and once they remove notification badges, i could very well buy a Pixel instead...