Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO PCG-7R1M not booting up and making beeping noise

profile.country.en_GB.title
ljc19630
Visitor

VAIO PCG-7R1M not booting up and making beeping noise

Hi guys,

I have a 6 year old Vaio thats decided it doesnt want to boot up. When I try the screen stays black and all its doing is making a strange beeping noise?

Anyone got any ideas how to fault this problem?

Cheers

L

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi L,

Can you describe the beeps you are hearing as this may give an indication of the problem - e.g. how many long and how many short beeps?

Rich

Also can you please try to identify the correct product model number, possibly a VGN-FE series - have a look on the screen surround.

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ljc19630
Visitor

Hey Rich,

I am getting 3 beeps....then a pause......then 3 beeps.....and this continues untill i hit the power off button

ljc19630
Visitor

Sorry.....its a long beep then 2 short beeps....then silence.....got the laptop next to me now:smileyangry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi L,

One long followed by two short beeps can indicate a graphics adaptor failure but may also result from faulty memory modules.

As the graphics chip is part of the motherboard and therefore not economic to replace I suggest you first investigate a memory issue. Assuming you have two modules fitted try one module, in all combinations, singularly in each slot. This will hopefully rule out a single faulty memory module.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ljc19630
Visitor

Thanks Rich

Tried swapping both memory cards round but made no difference. Beeping is still happening but not on every occasion?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi L,

I assume you tried each single module on its own in each slot - rather than just swapping around?

On the occasions that you hear no beep code I take it that there is still no boot?

Can you confirm the product model number as per the edit in my initial reply as some models from this period were affected by a faulty Nvidia chip.

If this is not one of the models acknowledged by Sony to have a faulty Nvidia chip, and it is a graphics chip problem, then there is a possibility that a reflow may resolve the issue. Cost is approx. £120 and some companies offer a no fix no fee deal (apart from collection and return).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ljc19630
Visitor

Hi Rich

Unfortunatly the VGN code has faded and I can only find the PCG-7R1M code:smileyconfused:

ljc19630
Visitor

Managed to find the code:smileywink:

it a VGN-FE31Z:smileyhappy:

ljc19630
Visitor

Hi Rich

Managed to find the code

its a VGN-FE31Z

Any further help much appriciated:smileywink: