Join now - be part of our community!

System Builder OEM

smellslikepie
Visitor

System Builder OEM

If I buy a system builder OEM of an operating system would I be able to install it on my laptop?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yes, if it's a Vista capable laptop. Please keep in mind that you need to have Vista drivers right to your hand during the installation. Vista + XP drivers = may no joy

If your VAIO isn't Vista capable then you probably won't find any driver updates on Sony VAIO Link.

http://vista.vaio-link.com/ (the better way to update)

smellslikepie
Visitor

That's brilliant news. I ordered a System Builder OEM version of Vista and didn't realise. Checked today and started worrying :laughing:

Yeah, my laptop is Vista capable, it's got that little sticker that says "Designed for Windows XP.
Windows Vista Capable".

I've also done the uprade advisor and it says:

System requirements: There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows Vista.

Device Details Apparently Four devices won't work after installation. These are:

Toshiba BT Port, which I'm assuming is for Bluetooth, which i don't have.

SigmaTel High definition Audio CODEC. Which I'm guessing I can live without.

Bluetooth RFCOMM from TOSHIBA - again, I don't have Bluetooth

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller - I don't know what this is.

Unfortunately I don't know where to find the drivers for Vista.. so yeah, in a different thread I was told to try running Vista using VMware or something and see how it runs without the correct drivers there.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Drivers will be surely available very soon. Hopefully in February.

Anyway, looks like you wasted some money. The VAIO Vista update just cost approx 20€, if it's on the list and with sticker on it. :wink:

smellslikepie
Visitor

No, I bought this laptop in September, and on that site it says you need to have bought it at the end of October. Anyway, it was only £60 or something for Vista Home Premium, so it's not too bad :tongue:

AlexanderT
Visitor

Device Details Apparently Four devices won't work after installation. These are:

Toshiba BT Port, which I'm assuming is for Bluetooth, which i don't have.

You may find that generic windows bluetooth drivers will load. These work with keyboards and mice etc. but just as wish XP they don't work with headsets.

SigmaTel High definition Audio CODEC. Which I'm guessing I can live without.

This means no sound until Sony produce drivers. Sigmatel don't release generic drivers. You MAY have luck getting something working, but probably its best to wist until the drivers are posted on the support forums

Bluetooth RFCOMM from TOSHIBA - again, I don't have Bluetooth

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller - I don't know what this is.

This is your memory stick slot - no drivers at present

Basically, the sigmatel drivers would be your only concern. unless you really can live without sound. Just hold up for the drivers to be published.

Hope this helps

Alex