Join now - be part of our community!

Is it possible to wirelessly connect my Vaio RX624 Desktop to my LAN?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
solushouse
Visitor

Is it possible to wirelessly connect my Vaio RX624 Desktop to my LAN?

I'm setting up a network on my new desktop, and wonder if it's possible to wirelessly connect my VAIO RX624 to my network.  This is because my new Windows 8 computer will be the main office computer, and my RX624 will be used less frequently, and hence won't be on all the time.

Thanks for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi solushouse,

You can add a wireless adaptor to your PCV-RX624. USB is probably the most simple solution.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+wireless+network+cards&tag=googhydr-21&index=electro...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi solushouse,

You can add a wireless adaptor to your PCV-RX624. USB is probably the most simple solution.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+wireless+network+cards&tag=googhydr-21&index=electro...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
solushouse
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.  I've ordered a USB wireless network card and look forward to getting it operational.  Just wondering if I can use a similar arrangement with a printer that currently doesn't have a wireless facility?

Many thanks indeed.

Pauline.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Pauline,

Assuming that your printer is not either a network printer connected to the router via Ethernet cable or has Bluetooth or wireless capability then adapting it will probably be difficult.

However once you have wireless networking on both computers you can set up a printer share on the computer that is connected to the printer thus allowing the other machine to print through the network. This does require both computers to be turned on if you wish to print from the machine that is not directly connected to the printer.

To set up printer sharing open Control Panel on the computer connected to (and having the printer drivers installed) > Printers > right click the printer name and allow sharing.

Then on the other computer open Control Panel > Printers > and click ‘Add Printer’ > Select ‘Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer’. This should then identify the printer that you have allowed to be shared.

Depending on the operating systems you are running the procedure may vary slightly and you may need to first enable printer sharing within Network and Sharing Center.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
solushouse
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Just wanted to let you know that my USB wireless network gadget arrived, and it works perfectly.  Thank you very much for your help.  Also, thanks for the advice about the printer too, which I managed to set up.

Regards always,

Pauline.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Excellent. You’re very welcome Pauline.:smileyhappy:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat