Join now - be part of our community!

Having a major laptop problem. Please help!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Fred_wood
Visitor

Having a major laptop problem. Please help!

I'm having a very big problem with my Sony Vaio laptop.

I have left my laptop on standby some nights and i'm not sure if this has created the problem i'm having. Windows 8 had stopped working so i was unable to log on leving me with a black screen every time i turned it on, but i was able to press the "Assist" button to turn it on and it brought be to many options. Many of these options did not work, such as Windows 8 repar. The only option that worked and was my choice, was to refresh my computer. This meant that my personal files and apps would be saved while deleting some others. So after i refreshed it everything seemed normal, normal account profile and pictures but when i log on many of the tiles were missing! I was left with 3 tiles, no saved pictures or videos and my admin privlleges. It says it is my profile but it is nothing like it! It is slow and EVERYTHING is unresponsive! My laptop is only a few weeks old so should i return it? I would highly prefer that there is some way to fix it as i have a few video games installed and it will waste my money. Is there anyway to fix it?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Fred and welcome.

I don't have Windows 8 but I understand that "Refresh my Computer" actually does a clean reinstall of Windows 8 on your computer.  It does save and reinstall all the files in your User Profile, Windows Settings and only Apps downloaded from the Windows Store - and deletes all the rest.  So ALL the Windows Desktop, preinstalled Sony software  and installed programs will be deleted and have to be reinstalled. This is why your Vaio seems unresponsive - half the software is missing.

This is the equivalent of a Clean Install but makes the process a little easier but you need to be aware it deletes all your Sony preinstalled Applications, Drivers and Utilities and any programs you have installed and should only be used as a last resort.

I think you have lost your games and will need to re-download and install these.

Unless someone has a better idea, I think you should return your Vaio to factory settings using the Recovery Utility to be found when you press the ASSIST button with the system completely shut down..  I can't give you a link to your Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide as you have not told us the Vaio model you have.  If you give us this, we can give you a link to the instructions.

:thinking: