Join now - be part of our community!

RX100M7 Unsteady / flickering 4k video

SOLVED
profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

RX100M7 Unsteady / flickering 4k video

I have a problem with the quality of 4k video footage. Unsteady / flickering results in environments with a lot of sun. Especially bad in auto setting. Gets somewhat better with shutter priority with the following settings. XAVC S 4K - 25p 100M - shutter 1/50 auto ISO - auto WB.
Have also tried a variable ND KF True color 2-32 ND filter (with filter adapter from Filtermag). Still uneven and flickering result.
I hope someone can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

I think I have figured out my uneven 4k result. Uses the following settings XAVC S 4K - 25p 100M - shutter 1/50 (180 degree rule) auto ISO - manual WB (removed much of the unevenness with the "correct" setting of WB) This with active use of the ND filter, it has become a good result. There are certainly opportunities for improvement, but it is just a matter of trying. 

That is the joy of having photography / video as a hobby.
Thank you for your interest

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Can you share an example with the issue?

profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

Video must be displayed with 4K resolution. With 1K resolution, the error is not visible.

profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

Video must be displayed with 4K resolution. With 1K resolution, the error is not visible.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Not sure to understand where you see “flickering”.

I see a “choppy” video, that is why the 180 degree rule exists.

You know? https://youtu.be/X4vg1Qmb0Eg?si=3sa1g6Fc6mv7DuE0

Have you heard video pros talk about using shutter 'angle' instead of shutter speed? Chris explains what shutter angle is and why it's often more useful than shutter speed when shooting video. Music provided by BeatSuite.com http://www.beatsuite.com ----------------------- DPReview.com is the ...
profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

And you seen this in 4k res.?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Try to take a screenshot and draw a circle in the area where you see the fliker, it can help to understand

profile.country.NO.title
Per-Jonny
Explorer

I think I have figured out my uneven 4k result. Uses the following settings XAVC S 4K - 25p 100M - shutter 1/50 (180 degree rule) auto ISO - manual WB (removed much of the unevenness with the "correct" setting of WB) This with active use of the ND filter, it has become a good result. There are certainly opportunities for improvement, but it is just a matter of trying. 

That is the joy of having photography / video as a hobby.
Thank you for your interest