Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7R IV Pixel Shift Hi-res Image artifacts

profile.country.GB.title
brighilaalexandru
New

Sony A7R IV Pixel Shift Hi-res Image artifacts

Hello everyone!

I`m new to this channel although I`ve been using Sony mirrorless cameras for about 2 years now and I have tried recently to process some images taken with the 16 pixel shift function from the A7R4. The thing is that the results from the Sony`s Imaging Edge software have a lot of artifacts when zoomed in to 100%, which are causing the images to be un-usable for large resolution printing or presenting. When using the Peripheral Edge noise reduction to the maximum value of 1 it cleans part of it but it also blurries the image more. From what I`ve seen the parts of the image which aren`t in focus (not in the DOF zone) are having even more artifacts and even with the Edge noise reduction set to 1 those artifacts are not dissapearing. I`m a landscape photographer and the images were taking at sunrise on sturdy base (on the side of and asphalt road) with a really sturdy tripod in no-wind conditions. The image sequence was set to "shortest" so I think 1/2s between each image - could it be from this that the sensor would have movements causing lack of sharpness?

I will try to put some examples of cropped parts of the images to this post so that you can see the zoomed aspect of the problem. Did anyone had this kind of problems? And if yes, did you find any solution to have the images sharper and without such artifacts?

Thank you in advance for your attention!

Alex

Px Shift Img 150% zoom in DOF areaPx Shift Img 150% zoom in DOF area

Px Shift Img 100% zoom out of DOF areaPx Shift Img 100% zoom out of DOF areaPx Shift Img 300% zoomPx Shift Img 300% zoom

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey brighilaalexandru, do you mean cont. shooting? Or, what's pixel shifting function? I don't have the camera so I checked the manual and didn't find a function with that name!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team
profile.country.GB.title
brighilaalexandru
New

Yes, that is the function of the camera that I was refering to, the one which is supposed to help you take 240Mpix resolution images.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, I found this: Any camera movement or subject blurring as the four Pixel Shift Multi images are captured may prevent the RAW images from being combined correctly, and a faint grid pattern may be visible.
Also, images may not be combined correctly if the light shining on the subject changes due to movement of persons or objects, or if the amount of light emitted is inconsistent between shots when shooting with a flash.
Keep this in mind when setting up any photography equipment, and at the time of shooting.

profile.country.GB.title
brighilaalexandru
New

Hello again,

I`ll get back to this even if it`s been 2 years since the mentioned problem. I have moved the setting to 3 seconds between the shots so that no sensor movement should happen. The problem still persists on areas which were not moving between the shots (mountains) and were constantly lit by the sun with same light. I have actually tested the camera back at home at the time of my post 2 years ago and have found the same problem photographing the furniture in my room which was lit by the camera lights (constant light) from one of the sturdiest tripods ever made. So this being said the function doesn`t perform well at all as if I zoom into the image at 100% I see that it isn`t sharp at all and when I zoom even more I start to see the artifacts. Such a pitty as this camera is marketed as 240 Megapixels bomber.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Can you share your setup?

Lens, zoom position, tripod, shutter speed, aperture, etc.

Any samples of defect? It should be interesting a portion od center and a portion of edge of the frame